The Amos Thomas Seaman House
The Amos Thomas Seaman House is designated as a Provincial Heritage Property. This means it is part of a list of properties that possess provincial heritage value in Nova Scotia. It is located on the Barronsfield Road, overlooking the marsh and the tidal flats of the Bay of Fundy, in Minudie. This two-and-a-half storey Georgian estate house was built in 1843. The house, wood shed and property are included in the provincial designation.
The Amos Thomas Seaman House is valued for its close historical associations with the era of Amos "King" Seaman, through his eldest son, Amos Thomas. It is also valued because its exterior has been largely unaltered since its construction in 1843 and it has remained in the Seaman family to the present day.
In 1833, Amos Peck Seaman, or as he was known, "King" Seaman, purchased the land on which his eldest son Amos Thomas Seaman built this house in 1843. Amos Thomas, entered early into business with his father, assisting in the operation of stores and mills, as well as running a large farm. Amos Thomas married twice and the house may have been built during his second marriage.
Amos Thomas died in 1856, predeceasing his father by eight years and therefore was not involved in the legal matters brought about by his father's complicated will. Amos Thomas's son Ephraim, who inherited the house, did become caught up in this, though it is unclear whether this house was in dispute. The house has remained in the Seaman family to the present day.
The Amos Thomas Seaman House is a large wood frame structure comprised of three distinct sections. These include a principal section with a slightly pitched hip roof; an adjoining kitchen wing; and beyond this a wood shed/storage area.
The overall form of the principal section derives from the typical Georgian style of the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries, though detailing demonstrates the more contemporary Greek Revival style. On the exterior this includes the architrave surrounding the front entrance and the wide corner boards and fascia detail. The foundation is built of cut stone, some rusticated, and skillfully constructed. The construction date of 1843 is cut into the foundation by the front door.