Wood Point Seaman Family

In 1759, a member of the New Light Movement of Swansea, Mass. came to
Wood Point, Chignecto Isthmus, to establish a religious community, which later
evolved into the Baptist Church. He received assurances of land grants and
returned in 1763 with 13 members of the Reboth community consisting of pastor,
Nathan Mason and wife, Thomas Lewis and wife, Oliver Mason and wife,
Benjamin Mason and wife, Experience Baker, Gilbert Seaman and wife, Charles
Seaman, wife Hannah Bowen, and son Job. Nathan Seaman 1719- (wife) and
son, Nathan 1741-1822, wife Zeniah (Zene) Thomas (Thomas family,1610
Mass.) joined the community in 1764. (Chignecto, Bell Collection FC2345, C5,
M6.)
Charles Seaman 1700-1771, son of Thomas and Suzannah Seaman of
Swansea, Mass., became deacon of the ‘Old Baptist Church’ and was buried at
Wood Point. His wife returned to Massachusetts after his death. Their son, Job
Seaman (?) was ordained in 1773, became a member of Brown University,
Mass. Job’s wife was Sarah Estabrooks of Rhode Island. (Seaman Family
History, Chicago 1906, Elizabeth M. Seaman)
In 1763, Charles and Gilbert Seaman received a land grant of 1 ½ shares, 750
acres in the Tantramar Settlement. They engaged in farming, later bought
property in Sackville. Charles’ brother, Nathan Seaman 1719 and son Nathan
1741 (Zene) each received grants of 500 acres (C No. 4 and B No.43). Job
Seaman 1748 (Charles’ son) (wife?) also received a grant of 500 acres in 1773
(C No. 36). Samuel Seaman (?) rented property in Letter B, 1786. (History of
Sackville, N.B. W.C. Milner, Dominion Archivist, Tribune Press, 1934, pp. 21-23)
Farming along the Tantramar was marginal, so Nathan’s sons engaged in
community development, forestry, and shipping. Charles 1700 and Nathan 1719
were buried at Wood Point. The remaining Seaman family members returned to
Massachusetts with the exception of Nathan 1741 (Zene)
Nathan Seaman 1741-1822, wife Zeniah (Zene)Thomas 1748-1836 and family of
eleven, including Amos Peck 1788 left Sackville in 1796 for Maccan. They
rented property for several years until they settled at Lower River Hebert at the
Lumley Hill farm across the Hebert River from Barronsfield. Nathan engaged in
farming while the elder sons found work. Nicholas 1770 (Sarah) became a
Master Mariner engaged in shipping; Nathan 1771 (wife?) worked at the quarry
at Lumley Hill. Job 1786 (wife?) later on worked as a land agent for DesBarres.
In 1820, brothers, Job and Amos Peck together purchased the Lumley Hill 2274
acre grant from the Franklin Manor Estate (Richard Blair agent) Book H. p. 275,
the farm, woodland and quarry where the family had lived for about 14 years.
Lumley Hill included the Old Burying Ground -Lumley Hill (1770’s), now known as
the Lower River Hebert Cemetery. Nathan, his wife and many of their family
members were buried there, plus members of the farming/shipping community.

Nathan Seaman 1741-1822 & Zeniah (Zene) Thomas 1748-1836

  1. Nicholas 1770-1829 married Sarah Snowdon 1774-1792
  2. Nathan 1771-1856 no marriage
  3. Mary 1774-1863
  4. John Thomas 1776-1844 married (1810) Hannah Cushing 1791-1877
  5. Elizabeth 1778
  6. Zena 1781-1825
  7. Hulda 1782- married (1805) Robert Fawcett in Sackville
  8. Sarah 1784 married Thomas Blenkhorn 1777-1823 at Maccan
  9. Job 1786-1827
  10. Amos (Peck) 1788-1864 married (1814) Jane Metcalf 1793-1866 at
    Maccan
  11. Gilbert 1794-1841 married Margaret Pugsley 1813-1895
    Gravestones for Nicholas and Zene, John Thomas and Hannah, Sara’s husband
    Thomas Blenkhorn and Gilbert and Margaret Pugsley are at Lower River Hebert.
  12. Nicholas 1770-1829 & Sarah Snowdon 1774-1792
    a. Nicholas 1794-1884 married Charlotte Baker 1796-1871
  13. Gilbert 1832-1889
    b. Pickering 1797
    a. Nathan 1800
    b. William 1802
    c. Amos Thomas 1805
    d. John 1807
    e. Sarah 1809
    In 1814, Amos married Jane Metcalf of Maccan, and bought 1 ½ acres at
    Barronsfield to build a home and store. He and his wife rented a house from
    1814-1818 at Lower River Hebert near his family’s home at Enoch Brown’s mill
    (Crossley/Landels sawmill. (Gilbert Seaman diary) Amos bought the Desbarres
    grant with partner, William Fowler in 1832.
    River Hebert at that time included the Lower River Hebert farms along the river to
    the open bay and what is now Ronald Carter’s. At Carter’s then owned by
    Charles Atkinson/William Sharpe 1814 (grant paper Landels family), was another
    quarry, wharf and dock, store, school (where Amos Seaman attended) and ferry
    that ran from Minudie to Marsh Point and back to the wharf. The open water was
    called Maccan Bay and the farms along the Maccan River were documented as
    Maccan, including Jane Metcalf’s family at Brown’s Creek Hill. (Carter papers)
    (William Sharpe was a long time friend and brother-in-law of Amos Seaman
    having married the sister of Jane Metcalf.)
    The house that Amos and Jane lived in was rented to James Landels and family
    in 1833… subsequently sold to James Landels in 1855.
  1. Amos Peck 1788-1864 & Jane Metcalf 1793-1866
    a. Amos Thomas 1815-1856
    b. James 1816-1860
    c. Ann 1818 married Senator McFarlane
    d. Gilbert 1820-1895 married Frances Baker 1834-1900
    e. Job 1822-1861
    f. Rufus 1825-1888
    g. Mary 1826
    h. William 1828-1860
    i. Jane 1830
    j. Ephraim 1832-1837 *
    k. Sarah 1834
    *Ephraim was first buried at Lumley Hill/Lr. River Hebert Cemetery. His grave
    and stone were removed to King Seaman Lake Cemetery after the cemetery was
    developed around 1846-1848. Two other Seaman children are buried at Lumley
    and recorded in both cemetery documents. Charles 1847 and Sarah 1842,
    children of Job 1815 (brother) and Rebecca Read. Amos was reported to have
    had the Seaman children buried beside each other. (Landels papers)
    In 1855 Amos sold his ½ share of Lumley Farm to James Landels (1000 acres)
    for 750 pounds. This included the cemetery where his parents and other family
    members were buried. Amos’s brother Job sold his ½ share to their brother
    Gilbert 1794 who ran the quarry beside the cemetery in 1827.
  2. Gilbert 1794-1841 & Margaret Pugsley 1793-1895
    a. Gilbert 1839-1908 & Amelia Baker 1851-1927
  3. William Baker Seaman 1880-1965 buried at Amherst
  4. Charles Gilbert Seaman 1882-1968 buried at Amherst
    (3). Ethel Doncaster Seaman 1893-1982 was taken in as a foster child, later
    became the Seaman housekeeper. She was buried beside her aunt, Phoebe
    Doncaster at Lr. River Hebert. Widow Margaret, son Gilbert and family lived at
    the quarry property in the 1881 census. (Dawson)
    Note: Dates on properties are confusing. Ownership could come many years
    after rental. The grant system encouraged farmers to rent and establish buildings
    and clear farmland prior to purchase.
    Note: A cairn was erected at Slack’s Cove, Lower Rockport Road, Sackville in
    recognition of the New Light Community of 1763.
    jlm Joyce Landels Makela B.Ed., M.Ed., M.A. Lower Maccan Notes: Oct.2010